David Farnbauch speaks at the Cross Examination: A Lawyer's Time to Shine Legal Seminar
Cross-examination has been called “the greatest legal engine ever invented for the discovery of the truth,” by the United States Supreme Court.
On December 16th, 2011, David Farnbauch had the honor of speaking at the “Cross Examination: A Lawyer’s Time to Shine” legal seminar sponsored by the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Foundation (“ICLEF”) at the Fort Wayne, Indiana Grand Wayne Center.
The seminar was designed to provide lawyers with the tools necessary to take cross-examination to the next level. Providing a plaintiff’s perspective, David discussed the principles of “constructive” cross-examination and demonstrated how the effective use of constructive cross-examination can be the deciding factor at trial.
In order to maximize the potential Cross-examination, lawyers need to:
- Have a plan
- Have clear goals for the Cross
- Begin the Cross at the Deposition stage
- Utilize control methods
The seminar covered many facets of the Cross Examination including:
- The Nuts and Bolts of Cross-Exam / Rules of Evidence in State and Federal Court
- Methods and Purposes of Cross-Exam
- Younger’s Ten Commandments of Cross-Exam
- The use of Technology in Cross-Exam
- Tactics to Employ When Crossing Parties,
- Fact Witnesses and Lay Witnesses
- Cross-Exam of Medical Experts
- Cross-Exam of Retained Experts
- Use of Objections During Cross-Exam
- Redirect and Rehabilitation of Witnesses: Tips for Success
- Ethical Considerations in Cross-Exam