Fort Wayne Indiana Personal Injury Lawyer and Attorney Blog

What You Should Know About Special Needs Trusts

September 7, 2015

Indiana Special Needs Trusts

If you want to leave money or property to a loved one with a disability, you must plan carefully. Otherwise, you could jeopardize your loved one's ability to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Medicaid benefits.

By setting up a "special needs trust" in your will, you can avoid some of these problems. Owning a house, a car, furnishings, and normal personal effects does not affect eligibility for SSI or Medicaid. But other assets, including cash in the bank,  will disqualify your loved one from benefits. For example, if you leave your loved one $10,000 in cash, that gift would disqualify your loved one from receiving SSI or Medicaid.

With a special needs trust, you choose someone to serve as a trustee who will disperse the funds on an as-needed basis. These funds cannot be given directly to your loved one – that could interfere with eligibility for SSI and Medicaid. But the trustee can spend trust assets to buy a wide variety of goods and services for your loved one. Special needs trust funds are commonly used to pay for personal care attendants, vacations, home furnishings, out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses, education, recreation, vehicles, and physical rehabilitation.

If you have more questions about special needs trusts, please contact the Sweeney Law Firm.

Remember there is never a fee, unless we make a recovery for you.